Saturday, September 4, 2010

Another week, Another adventure

Well what they say is true - time flys when your having fun and fly it has. This week was my fourth week here and I can't believe it. It feels like we've just arrived but at the same time it feels like we've been here for years. Everyone makes us feel too welcome.

It's hard to recall what's actually happened this week but there's been a lot of late nights and a lot of bule time (although I'm pretty sure we needed some).

This week marked saying goodbye to Dimas for 3 Weeks which is kind of really depressing seeing as he's my new gay best friend. Other things include a second trip to Milas (a famous Yogya Vegetarian Resto), several trips to bar bintang , Republic (where some Indo literally poored Jack Daniels down my throat), and food - lots of it.

But Indo isn't all about drinking and partying. Classes have actually started and although we haven't had much work it will be sufficient to keep me challenged - I have to write a 15+ page essay in Indo on a research topic of my choice for one subject (that's way more than I write at home). I'm also learning Javanese which is kind of amusing - a fourth language to my growing repertoire plus I just sound ridiculous. Gamelan, Ethnic Food Appreciation and Grammar complete my list of classes.

Today I'm heading to Sumatra for end of Ramadhan celebration. We're going to stay in a village with our friend Ina and her family - none of whom speak indonesian. It is a once in a lifetime opportunity and will challenge our language ability drastically (most people in Yogya use at least part English in their everyday conversation even amongst themselves). So next blog shall be exciting.

Until next time sampai nanti

No comments:

Post a Comment